A concrete pier foundation comprises large-diameter barrel-shaped columns to support the superstructure and transport large superimposed loads to the firm strata below. It stood multiple feet above the ground. It is also recognised as “post foundation”.
Types Of Pier Foundation
Masonry Or Concrete Piers
Masonry or concrete piers are based on the level of the stratum. If a suitable bearing stratum exists up to 5m, handiwork piers are used. The size and the contour of the piers depend on the characteristics of the soil, depth of the bed, etc.
Drilled caissons are ordinarily referred to as cylindrical foundations. A drilled caisson is essentially a compressed member-governed to an axial load at the top and regression at the bottom. Commonly there are three types of drilled caissons:
- Concrete caisson with inflated bottom
- Caisson of steel pipe that comes with concrete filled in the pipe
- Caissons with cement and steel core in the iron pipe.
Benefits Of Pier Foundation
- This method is convenient and requires less materials and labor. The materials here needed are promptly available.
- It has a wide range of diversity when it comes to design. There are varied materials one can utilise here to improve the artistic view, and they also remain in our budget.
- Pier organization saves money and time as it doesn’t need unrestricted shoveling and a lot of cement.
- It causes minimal disturbance to the soil environment. A shovel can be used for excavation, and current roots and soil organisms inhabit primarily undisturbed. At the end of the construction’s purposeful life, the site will be more available to restore to a general foundation compared to an area with a whole basement.
- As it elevates the house above the ground, floods cannot do any damage to the edifices.
- The space between construction and ground is enough to install utilities like plumbing and electrical wires between them.
- Workers can quickly get below the space between house and soil to solve issues concerning the plumbing and electrical as there is ample space to drag.
- It’s comfortable to walk on a floor that doesn’t rest on a firm surface, and it is suitable for people who have osteoarthritis and back issues.
- Evaluation is possible as the diameter of the shafts is wider.
- Engineers can change the composition whenever they want if imminent.
- The ground vibration that is generally associated with driven piles is absent in the case of drilled pier architecture.
- Bearing capability can be increased by under-reaming the bottom (in non-caving materials).
Pier Foundation Construction Details
Spacing Of Piers
Pier foundations typically are made 1-1.5 feet above the earth. This gap (how far away are foundation piers) is required to limit moisture as the moisture blemishes the wooden constructions.
Shape And Size Of Piers
The width of piers is usually 6 in, 8 in, 10in, 16in. The depth of the pier structure is below the frigid depth. The depth is 5-6ft.
The Piers Can Be Obtained From Various Elements
- Solid Cement
Ways Of Performing
There are many ways to do concrete pier foundation as Masonry is the most easy-going way between them. But the process is not the best. The foundation of bricks is not directly put collectively in the hole. The fold pillar is entirely on the ground, lower it into the wall, and does not look firm and enjoyable.
Wood, Brick, cement, etc., are used in pier association. But the most used material is strengthened concrete. It implements the most compressive strength and has a high sensitivity tensile pressure. Furthermore, reinforced unyielding pillars can confront any frosting and will not shatter under these forces. And it is pretty straightforward to weaken the concrete mixture and spill it into the holes.
Types Of Cross-Section
There are various types of foundation pillars’ cross-sections. It can be barrel-shaped, helical or box-shaped, or a more complex form with broadening the bottom of the posts. The broadening can extend the area of the base and thus increase the load-bearing capacity of the foundation. The weight of the dwelling will be disseminated over a larger area.
Technologies Of Pier Foundation
The most used way consists of comprehending a square or rectangular hole. The size of which is 4-8 inches more prolonged than the required diameter of the post. Then formwork is set in the abyss, which improves the shape of the future society; then the support cage is placed, and concrete is poured. After that, the formwork is separated and embraced with a pillar. This technology has created a possibility for everyone to make a bolstered concrete pillar of various appearances but requires a relatively substantial number of embankments and the use of removable shuttering. Installation of every new post for the organization is the following – in the excavated well, we set a framework that propped up the sides of the spacer. Inside the formwork, there is the support cage. The reinforcement cage makes sure that the pillars remain in place.
The top of the pier foundation, which combines the individual posts into a single construction, is grillage. When substantial structural quantities from columns, piers, or stanchions are required to be transported to the clay of low conduct capacity, grillage support is used. Grillage is generally found to be lighter and economical.
Now you know everything that is there to know about concrete piers!!