When building a solid foundation for homes, piling is one of the most effective ways to create a strong foundation. Whether for building residential structures or prominent engineering structures, such as oil rigs or bridges, contiguous piling provides one of the best solutions. Besides, it is a cost-effective method of constructing a retaining wall.
Things to know about contiguous piling:
One of the best methods to create a retaining wall is to insert a series of augured piles touching each other. Here is how you may insert the augured piles.
- Boring a hole with repeated steel sections that can be removed, the hole needs to be filled with concrete.
- It bored the hole with repeated steel sections and pumped the grout into the void during removal.
Therefore, contiguous piling is when you insert the piles with gaps between them. The openings with earth packed inside need to be grouted, and a second wall construction may take place in front of the walls.
- One of the most typical uses of contiguous piling is constructing cellars or basements where piles can be inserted and used as a retaining wall.
- The other primary use of contiguous piling is to insert substructures close to the basic structure, as extensive excavation may not be a practical solution to stabilize slopes and inclined places.
- Contiguous piling may come in handy to maintain the grounds in the adjoining properties.
Benefits of contiguous pile walls:
The series of adjacent piles are constructed to form a retaining structure. It is a cost-effective and straightforward support system, especially for the construction of excavations from small to medium scale depth. Here are the reasons to construct adjacent pile walls.
- The adjacent pile walls are suitable for building in places with load variations without the requirement of a guide wall.
- The contiguous piles are appropriate for places with flexible geometry when compared with the diaphragm wall, and it is more cost-effective as a bored pile solution.
- Due to the load-bearing capacity of these walls, It can install the adjacent pile walls in complex ground conditions.
- The pace of development and urbanization has shot the cost of the land high. Hence, the tendency is to go deeper where contiguous piling helps go deep into the ground.
- The adjacent pile walls are more economical for the crowded and urban places where the conventional retaining fences may encroach on the surrounding properties.
- The footings of adjacent buildings and the utilities underground make contiguous piling an ideal choice for excavation.
- The speed of installing contiguous piling compared with the secant piled walls makes it a popular option.
One of the most remarkable advantages of contiguous pile walls is that the process of insertion creates little or no insertion. As the piles undergo dull, vibration and noise are minimum, making them ideal for close structures and built-up areas. Moreover, it requires no extra excavation, making it the right option for confined spaces.